Several years ago we found a recipe called Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake and used it at Easter for our Easter breakfast. The original recipe has a layer of cake, a layer of strawberry rhubarb filling and another layer of cake. Not wanting to take time to make the layers, I mixed it all together. Here is the recipe with that adaptation.
Strawberry Rhubarb Coffeecake
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 TBSP arrowroot powder OR 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb .5-.6 lb. is about 2 cups
- 1 package 10 ounces frozen strawberries (OR fresh; either way, I do slice or quarter these.)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour OR combination of whole wheat and all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk OR 1 TBSP vinegar - any kind - added to 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Crumb topping, optional
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in rhubarb and strawberries as they are, fresh or frozen. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Cool.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Mix in melted butter. Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; stir until moistened. Mix in fruit portion until evenly mixed. Pour into a 13x9 in pan or 2 round cake pans.
Optional topping portion
Combine sugar and flour in a small bowl; add melted butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and cake is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.