Vegetables - 3 cups that could include these:
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas. defrosted,
- 1 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables, substitute for corn and peas above
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
Rest of the ingredients
- 2 tbsp grapeseed, canola, peanut, or vegetable oil
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, almonds, peanuts, or cashews
- 2 tbsp minced cilantro, opt.
- Optional Step - Egg Pancake: There are several ways of adding egg to your finished fried rice. You can simply cook in the beaten egg at the end of cooking, or you can make an egg pancake. To do this, heat the pan and add 1 teaspoon of oil. Swirl in the oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add a beaten egg and tilt the wok so that the egg covers the surface like a crepe. Cook the pancake about 30 seconds to a minute until it's just set. Use a metal spatula and flip the pancake and cook for 5 seconds or until set. Cut into small strips and add to fried rice near the end of cooking.
- Heat the pan. Cook egg if making egg pancake. SEE ABOVE. Otherwise,
- Add the Carrots and Stir-Fry: Add the carrots and stir fry for 30 seconds, or until the carrots are bright orange.
- Add the Corn and Peas and Stir-Fry: Add the corn and peas and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add 1 More Tablespoon Oil: Swirl the remaining tablespoon of oil into the pan.
- Add the Rice and Scallions and Stir-Fry for 2 Minutes: Add the rice and scallions stir-fry for 2 minutes, breaking up the rice with the spatula until it is heated through.
- Season the Rice: Season the rice with the salt and white pepper.
- Add the Sauce: Pour the soy sauce around the edges of the wok and stir-fry.
- Finish the Rice: Add the chopped egg pancake and pine nuts. Toss to combine. OR you can stir in 1 beaten egg. Stir-fry until the egg is no longer wet.
- Stir in the cilantro.
Stir-Fried Rice in a 12-inch Skillet: If you are cooking in a 12-inch stainless steel skillet, halve the recipe to prevent rice from falling out of the pan. Substituting Other Vegetables: Substitute up to 2 1/2 cups of vegetables in place of the carrots, frozen corn, and frozen peas. Leftover meat (shredded or diced small) can also be added. Original recipe here