Osso Buco - Crockpot variation
The meaty shank soup bone is browned, put in the crockpot, then veggies are added and all of it is simmered on low for 6-8 hours. Yummy-licious!
- 2 tbsp oil, butter, or fat
- 1-2 meaty shank soup bones
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 18 oz. diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups broth Opt.
- Brown meaty shank soup bones in oil for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove to crockpot or slow cooker.
- Add veggies to crockpot.
- Cover with diced tomatoes. Add broth, if using. Cover with lid. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Take meat out, cut into fine pieces or shred. Cut marrow into small pieces. Add back to pot and stir it all together.
- OPT - If you used up to 2 cups of broth, drain liquid and cook down on the stovetop. Add back to meat and veggies.
- Serve as is or over rice or potatoes.
This is my stovetop Osso Buco recipe modified to be done in a crockpot. 2 cups of liquid are optional in the crockpot. The tomatoes, veggies and meat will make their own liquid which will work for this meal.