Here is a recipe from The Grassfed Gourmet Cookbook by Shannon Hayes with my adaptations.
Goat and Feta Sandwiches
Based on Lamb and Feta Sandwiches recipe from The Grassfed Gourmet Cookbook by Shannon Hayes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. ground goat
- Salt & pepper, opt
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 8 oz. feta cheese
- Pitas, bread, or English muffins
- Saute the onion, garlic, celery in olive oil in a large sauce pan until the veggies are soft.
- Add the ground goat, salt, pepper and oregano. Saute until the meat browns, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the spinach; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the feta cheese, sauteing another 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is fully incorporated and slightly melted.
- Serve in pitas or as sandwiches.
Any 2 cup combination of sauteed veggies can be used for the onions, celery, and garlic – peppers and grated carrots would be other things to include. I tend to cook my meat first so that I know it is no longer pink and then add and saute my veggies second. Any cooking green will work in place of spinach – tatsoi, pac choi, Swiss chard, spinach, arugula. Any cheese will work in place of the feta. And if ground goat meat isn’t to your liking, ground pork, ground beef, or sausage will also work. The key parts are a ground meat, a cooking green, a cheese, sauteed veggies and oregano.