This is a recipe that I have used at Thanksgiving for several years. Duck is a meat that I will purchase as we haven’t raised or processed any ducks yet.
Duck over Apples
This makes a sweet duck with nice leftover broth for cooking rice or rice pilaf in.
- 1 duck, whole, thawed
- 4-6 apples, cored; similar height
- Water to cover bottom of crockpot
- Thaw duck; remove giblets and any sauce packs.
- Core apples. Place in lightly greased crockpot. You want enough that the duck can rest on top of them. Add just enough water to cover bottom of crockpot.
- Place duck breast side down on top of apples. Cover crockpot. Set to low heat for 7-9 hours.
- Remove duck from crockpot, and allow to cool some. Remove meat from carcass and eat. Put broth over rice OR save to cook with rice later.