This is a use-what-you-have sort of dish. I cook to a pot based on the number of people eating. I vary the veggies according to what I have and according to the dislikes of those I am serving. Some veggies retain their shape well when sauteed – broccoli, cauliflower, beets – and some shrink considerably – many greens – and some are somewhere in between – beans, pod peas, squash, cabbage, onions, garlic.
I use a cast iron Dutch oven. I put oil in the bottom and let it start to warm. I add my firm veggies and put some oil on top. Then I stir or toss the veggies and the oil. Next I cover it with the lid and let it sit for a minute or two. Then I add the next batch of veggies, again adding some oil on top, stirring and tossing. Once again I cover it and let it sit another minute or two. And finally I repeat with the greens. Once the lidded pot starts steaming, I put the heat to low, letting it sit for 4-5 minutes in between stirrings. When the solids are finally soft, then I serve this. It may be over rice or just a side of meat and potatoes. And the veggies still taste good the next day, though we don’t usually have many that last that long. Here is a printable form of this meal.
- Pot with a lid
- Olive oil, or whatever your fat of choice is
- Firm veggies – ones retain their shape well when sauteed Beets, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery
- Mid firm veggies – ones that will soften some Stems of the greens, pod peas, beans, onions, squash, tomatoes, corn
- Wilting veggies – tend to be the greens Spinach, Swiss chard, beet greens, bok choy, tatsoi, garlic
- Any already cooked veggies Canned veggies, leftovers
- Cut the veggies into bite size pieces.
- Put oil in the bottom of the pan and let it start to warm over high to medium high heat.
- Add the firm veggies and put some oil on top. Stir or toss the veggies and the oil. Cover with a lid and let sit a minute or two.
- Add the mid-firm veggies and put some oil on top. Stir or toss the veggies and the oil. Cover with a lid and let sit a minute or two.
- Add the wilting veggies and put some oil on top. Stir or toss the veggies and the oil. Cover with a lid and let sit a minute or two.
- Stir in or toss any cooked veggies or leftovers. Cover and watch for the pot to steam. Turn the heat to low, stirring every 4-5 minutes until the veggies are all soft. Take off heat and serve.