Here is the current pie crust recipe of choice. It works well and gives a consistent crust. It came from a friend who likes to bake.
This uses flour, oil and water for a consistent crust.
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour Can use all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour Can use whole wheat
- 2 pieces wax paper
- Mix oil and water until frothy. 2 cup liquid measuring cup is a good place to mix it.
- Put frothy oil and water into bowl and add flour. Stir with fork or spoon until it sticks together. Try to touch as little as possible.
- Separate into 2 lumps. Put one lump between wax paper and roll out to size of pie pan. Put in pie pan and proceed according to pie recipe. Do the same with 2nd lump of dough.
You can divide the recipe in half for 1 pie crust - 1/3 cup oil, 3 tbsp water, 1 cup + 2 Tbsp flour. Follow the directions above. I like this with a mix of whole wheat and all purpose flour. You can also do just one or the other.